**OPEN HOUSE SUNDAY 26TH SEPTEMBER 2021, 1pm – 3pm **
NO INVITE REQUIRED – CALL TO REGISTER INTEREST
A rare opportunity to purchase a hugely impressive wing of Rangemore Hall, The Bass Wing. This home offers extensive living accommodation over two floors, with luxurious interior architecture, and shared use of the 16 acres of grounds.
Set over 7500 sq ft of living space, the property boasts an entrance hall, grand reception hall, spacious kitchen lounge, incredible landing area with skylight and centrepiece, first floor reception room with views of the grounds, 5 bedrooms, ensuites and bathroom.
Externally the property enjoys private panoramic gardens overlooking the countryside and spectacular lake.
Rangemore Hall was built for the Bass family, of brewing fame, and is a most impressive mansion house, listed Grade II for its special architectural and historical importance. Rangemore Hall shows grand architecture in a loosely Italianate style and it is thought that the house has an early 19th Century core. The principal sections of the Hall date from the late Victorian era and the imposing central pediment is inscribed with the date 1900. The balustraded parapet, cornicing and fine fenestration are worthy of particular note. The principal section of the building has been divided into six grand properties to create an exclusive
A large section of Rangemore Hall was constructed for the visit of King Edward VII in 1902. This wing was commissioned by Lord
Burton in order to provide the King and his entourage with their own private accommodation and is now known as ‘The Edward V11 Wing’. In 1909 Nellie Bass, Baroness Bass, inherited Rangemore Hall and she split her time between Rangemore and two of her properties in Scotland. When it became too big for her it was sold to Staffordshire County Council. In 1944 the Hall was occupied by the American GIs until 1945. In 1954 it was opened as the ‘Needwood School for the Partially Deaf’ and closed in 1985.
The Bass Wing is approached through impressive double gates to a sweeping driveway with views over the surrounding countryside, which leads to the generous parking area and main entrance. The property is entered through double doors with impressive columns and a stone balustrade parapet above. Doors lead into an entrance hall with glazed light above and further double doors lead into the very fine reception hall. This room has oak panelling and intricate ceiling plaster work, oak floors and a sumptuous timber chimney piece showing exceptional carving. The room also has four impressive supporting columns. Leading off the reception hall, the staircase hall has a wonderfully grand staircase with heavily carved and polished banisters and spindles.
The Drawing Room of Rangemore Hall now provides the main formal sitting room and dining kitchen with a pair of ornate chimney pieces and tall windows providing lovely views over the terrace and parkland leading down to the lake to the east of the property. The kitchen is comprised of four impressive free standing sections to ensure the integrity of the building is preserved.
A second reception room is located on the first floor and benefits from a bay window providing views to the south and a further large window providing far reaching views to the east. This generously proportioned room has a decorative fireplace and blinds which have been hand painted, as have many other blinds throughout the property. Adjoining the sitting room is an
impressive study. There are five bedrooms in total, all with en-suite bath/shower rooms. The master bedroom has a particularly large en-suite bathroom which includes a roll-top bath with rain shower and twin wash hand basins. The room has two large windows providing views to the south. The second bedroom is generously proportioned with bay windows providing views to the south and features an impressive fireplace and an en-suite bathroom.
The three remaining bedrooms are on the northern side of the property and benefit from well thought out en-suite bathroom/shower rooms, one fitted with a Porcelanosa shower/sauna unit. The wide landing has a glazed light above it allowing natural light to flood down through the middle of the property to the ground floor by way of the wide staircase and an open light well through the landing itself.
The landing is decorated with a trompe l’oeil style design. This design overlies the warm Sudbury yellow walls. There is also a second kitchen/utility room at first floor level with a large number of fitted cupboards and space for washing machines and tumble dryer. A further store cupboard adjoins the utility room.
The property is approached via an impressive gateway off the public highway which leads to a sweeping driveway. This leads to a generous gravelled parking area at the front of the property with views over the surrounding parkland. Immediately adjoining the Bass Wing is the property’s own private formal terrace with planted beds which provides a superb position from which to enjoy the views over the parkland and the surrounding countryside. The grounds, made up of parkland, woodland and a lake, are
shared by the owners of seven properties within the Hall, and cover an area of approximately 16 acres. These provide a fantastic recreational area for walks round the lake and mature woodland to explore. Garaging and a storage room are provided within a garage building at the rear of the hall.
The village of Rangemore is surrounded with attractive Staffordshire countryside characterised by undulating farmland and mature mixed woodland. The hamlet was developed by Michael Thomas Bass, who resided at Rangemore Hall in order to house employees of the Hall and Rangemore Estate. Bass went on to build Rangemore Church, licensed in 1867, and subsequently a school in 1873. Today the village is a popular residential area but has remained unspoilt; the school, All Saints CE Primary School takes pupils from Reception to Year 6. Within a few minutes’ drive of Rangemore is the larger village of Barton under Needwood. Barton has an ancient history dating from Saxon times and today the village provides a good range of everyday shopping facilities and other amenities which include a library, infant, junior and high schools, including the highly regarded John Taylor High School, and a number of public houses. Private schooling is also available at Repton School, Denstone College, Abbots Bromley School for Girls, and highly regarded schools in Lichfield.
Rangemore Hall is ideally placed for access to the regional road network with the A38 (T) being about 4 miles away. This provides fast links to the M1, M6 Toll and M42 motorways and is the main commuter route to Derby, Birmingham and the West Midlands conurbation. The A50 (T), just a few miles to the north, provides a quick link to the M6 and the northwest, and to the M1, Nottingham and the east. Rail services operate from Burton upon Trent and Lichfield Trent Valley stations. The latter is about 10 miles away with some trains reaching London Euston station in less than 1hour and 20 minutes. East Midlands Airport and East Midlands Parkway Station (providing rail link to St Pancras and onwards into Europe) are about 22 miles away whilst Birmingham International Airport and the NEC are about 34 miles away.